• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Proper Humidity: Having Trouble

freas68

Hi all, I am new to the site as a poster but have been reading for awhile. I have been smoking cigars for awhile but just finally purchased a humidor. Now I read all there was to read on the topic and had it all set up, I seasoned it with one of those packets and some distilled water for 14 days, I charged the humidifier that came with the Humidor and got the jar of beads. Its only a small humidor 25-40 Cigars. Now I had it sitting and it was at 70- 72 % now it has fallen to 60 as soon as I put two cigars in there? Is there a problem or will it take awhile to balence itslef? I felt like it droped alot! Any help would be great as far as a suggestion or something I messed up or need to add. Thanks Alot, Andrew

How many beads did you get? Did you wet them with distilled water?
Were the cigars new, or were they sitting around for a while and really dry?

Dave

The beads were 4 ounces and i wet them with distilled water. The cigars were alittle dry they were a gift for V-Day.

If the cigars were that dry, they might be sucking up moisture, although there are only 2 of them.
Do the beads look white or clear?
You may want to try misting the beads again.

Dave

The beads look clear, ill keep an eye on them this weekend see if anything changes. Thanks for the help

60% is fine. Better for smoking anyway.

So sayeth sheriff buck!

70/70 is a myth, it's not like, if it drops below 70 your f*cked okay? Just leave em in, relax a little, and it should stabilize, esp. with Viper's beads....

I've found with my last 2 humidors, that even after the seasoning process and adding the heartfelt beads or whatever you're using for humidification, that it's taken up to a few months after that time to really stabilize. With my first humi (a 25 ct.), I'd get a lot of fluctuations and I thought it was poorly made or I was doing something wrong, but after about 2-3 months I noticed it leveled off and kept a rock solid RH. I think give it some time and it'll be fine.

Cool! Thanks for the help, the more i've been reading most people don't use the 70%, and as always i'm sure i need to give it time. I'm going to try a digitial hydrometer also, i'm sure it will be alittle more accurate than the one that cam with the box.

But again thanks for the help.

Fellow humidor-noob here... :)

If you're looking for a good digital hygrometer, PM southsidecigar and talk to him. Last week, I ordered a Caliber III from him (he also had two other models). I just finished calibrating it, and it's dead-on straight from the factory.

Unfortunately, that dead-on reading is telling me my humidity is too low, but that's another thread...